Wednesday 7 November 2012

Youth market categorization

To further my understanding of my target audience and to enable me to design the magazine to entice my target audience into buying it, I have been researching a website known as UK Tribes.


Uk Tribes is a experiment set up by Channel 4 and Crowd DNA, in 2009. It was attempted twice, once in 2005, and again in 2008. On the first trial, around 50,000 responses were gathered. The second trial produced around 38,000 responses. The aim of the experiment was "to explore the youth in honest terms, and as described to us by young people themselves." From the results gathered, twenty one groups were noted, and categorized into larger sections, or groupings. These include groups such as:


  • Street Rats
  • Emos
  • Skaters
  • Geeks
  • Chavs
  • Indie Scenesters

Since I shall be either designing a classical music magazine, or an alternative rock magazine, I have chosen to look at the groups that would allow me to market my magazine to both these audiences. The section that would give me the most insight into the target audience for a classical music magazine would be the 'Rahs' section.

From the website, Rahs are described as "Once derided, it's now cool to be posh. Here's the tribe that unites everyone from P Diddy to the young royals." From the Rahs page, the brands that are favored by the Rahs include:


  • Timberland
  • Jack Wills
  • Cartier
  • Ralph Lauren
  • Fat Face
The Media utilized by the Rahs include:
  • Facebook
  • Grazia
  • Bebo
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • Myspace


From this, I have gathered a great deal of information about what kinds of brands and such would be inside a classical magazine. I have also discovered what the best way would be to advertise this information, as UK Tribes also shows the different types of media utilized by each group. From this I can see that the best way to advertise my Classical music magazine would be to advertise it on the internet, on the radio, and at a cinema. Controversially, the worst way to advertise would be on TV, as the Rahs section of UK Tribes states that they have a smaller interest in television than any other form of media.    

For an Alternative rock magazine, I wouldn't be trying to appeal to Rahs. Instead, I would be trying to appeal to another group known as the Young Alts. Described by UK Tribes as: "Young Alts are after something different, but beyond that, they're not exactly decided." "Thanks to the internet the alternative lifestyle is now totally accessible and influential, and this is a huge, welcoming and diverse Tribe..." Young Alts are exactly who I would be aiming an Alternative music magazine at. 



Young Alts preferred brands include:


  • H and M
  • HMV
  • Kerrang!
  • NME
  • YouTube 
The media brands preferred by Young Alts includes:
  • Xfm
  • Bebo
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
  • BBC Radio 1
From this, I can see that Young Alts have a very unique style which is something I would take into consideration when designing my magazine. To advertise an Alternative rock magazine, I would utilize the Internet, and magazines as my key ways of advertising. I would make special use of websites such as Facebook to advertise my magazine to the target audience to the best of my abilities.  I would also advertise brands such as H and M, HMV and Kerrang!


No comments:

Post a Comment