Thursday 7 February 2013

Additional features


Whilst designing my double page spread, I have to make use of conventions such as Drop Caps and Pull quotes, along with the correct typeface for the magazine.

The first Drop Cap comes from an Issue of Rock Sound. The cap is around 7 lines down, and takes up a very small section of the page. This is down to the size of the text, and the spacing of the text by the picture. The pull quote for this particular article is located under the text, and in the middle of the article. From this, I have learnt that my pull quote doesn't have to come either at the end of the article, or at the start. Furthermore, I may also choose to make my Drop cap more than 2 lines large, which how I originally planed to lay it out. 











The next magazine was another issue of Rock Sound. What made this article stand out for me was the fact that it doesn't feature a Drop Cap at all. It does, however, feature a Pull Quote, which is located at the bottom of the article, which from my research, is a common feature in the layout of double page spread articles. However, I personally like this, as it doesn't break the flow of the article, and makes it seem like a single sentence.

The next article was from an issue of Q. This one features a Drop Cap which covers 7 lines, much like the first Drop Cap, and yet, it appears to be much bigger than the one from Rock Sound. This is to do with the typeface used, along with the colour of the text. The Pull quote is also surrounded with a picture, and red bars to help accentuate its location on the page. I really like this design, as the picture looks as though it is looking back over the quote. I will try to implement this into my work, as I really like this effect.


This Drop Cap is from an issue of Q, and rather than being 7 lines down like the others I have looked at, it is only 5. I personally feel this is a far better size for a Drop Cap to be. I also prefer the style of font used for this rather than the sans-serif font used on the others. The Pull quote is located at the end of the picture, and at the end of the article. As previously mentioned, as much as I think this is too generic, it features in a great number of magazines, though I wish to place my Pull Quote in the center of my article.

No comments:

Post a Comment