Friday 22 February 2013

Evaluation question 1

In what ways does your Media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

























The title of my preliminary task is Wilmington Weekly. I named it like this as most school magazines are called 'weekly', and due to this being a magazine for Wilmington, I used alliteration to make the title have more of an impact. 
The title logo is a mix of blue and yellow badge, which came from the school crest located on the contents page. 
The main image of the magazine cover is of Archie, and I chose this as he is a student from the school, and in the photograph represents the ethos of the school I wished to portray in my magazine. His body language is also open, making the photograph appear friendly, and making him look relaxed. This would reach out to the readers  of the magazine, as they can see what a friendly place the school is. The content that is promoted on the cover are the key stories from the magazine, thus highlighting their importance. 
The fonts are all very plain, as they are trying to get a message across, rather than create a certain feel, like those in my main task.
The language on the cover is designed to speak to the reader, and encourage them to read the magazine. Since it is aimed at school children, it is also written in a friendly way.
The cover looks very similar to other school magazines, as they often do not have designers for their magazines.                      





















The title of my magazine was inspired by Kerrang! as the word on thew surface seems to have nothing to do with music, and yet, like Renegade, can be equated to part of the music industry; in the case of Renegade, my magazine's fans can be seen as outsiders. The images are also heavily inspired by Kerrang! and NME, as they feature artists in gimmicky, and unusual costumes/outfits, which often reflect their character, which is something I noticed NME did more than Kerrang!

The artist on the cover is often the focus of the magazine, and I decided to use my model, as I felt that they would be the best representation of my genre of music, as anyone could be an Alternative rock-star. The font and colouring used are far more aggressive, and dark as these reflect the mood of my music genre, and are far more fitting than warm colours, such as green or yellow. The typeface is also drastically different, as this is far more informal, as music magazines use more direct speech, and profanities. 

The genre of my music is suggested by my magazine, by the model on the front cover, along with her outfit. The font, and colour of the text/background are also indicative of Alternative rock. The front page is more heavily NME inspired than Kerrang!, as Kerrang! has a very messy style, which suits a hard rock music magazine more than mine. The contents page is also heavily inspired by NME, with few columns, and a more spacious design. The double page spread meanwhile is heavily inspired by Kerrang! one artist portrayed in their work is almost exactly like mine, so it allowed me to look at design features too, as well as keeping the multiple column, and single large picture of the artist, which I included in my design.




No comments:

Post a Comment