Wednesday 23 January 2013

Double page spread article: First Draft


Before I can comprise, or start thinking of the layout for my double page spread, I need to write my article, and see how long it is.

A few months ago, during Alice’s rise to fame, Renegade’s resident interviewer managed to collar the rising star for an hour before a Gig, during the final night of her “It will be alright on the night” tour. During which the star spoke of her rise to fame, her family’s opinion, and how music has been taken over by 12 year olds with no talent.

A dusty changing room backstage is the best that can be mustered up for this interview. Alice sits opposite me, in an armchair, whilst I sit atop an upturned box. There is a small, temporary table between us, filled with presents from adoring fans, and some letters from the more lustful of her fans.  The sounds of the stage being set up can be heard faintly from behind the door. Alice is currently wearing her outfit ready for the Gig tonight. Her face is painted to look like a circus performer, notably, a ringmaster, and she has a long jacket on. A top hat hangs off the top of her head, allowing ginger locks to flow down like a waterfall. I am the first to speak. “So, how’s the tour going Alice? Looks like it’s been a success.” She sighs, and looks at me, as though I have just told her all about politics, or the stock market. “Yeah. It’s alright, I guess. I mean, it’s more successful than the last one.” Her voice is filled with boredom. I can tell she was expecting a more unusual interview than this, so I come in with my next point. “So, your fans have always loved your style. The way you dress, and the way you play. I must say that you look remarkable dressed like that. How do you think up all these costumes?” Her eyes widen a little. A question she has probably been asked many times, though she seemed a little more interested in that, than my previous question. “I dunno. It’s just sort of who I am. Plus, you attract a different crowd of people if you dress like Lada Gaga, than say Matt Bellamy.” The way she speaks of the lead singer of Muse perhaps hints at some pride, or admiration. As much as I want to pry further, I decide to go for a question a nation of fans want answers. “So, last night you announced your next album as having already been recorded. Was this hard to keep under wraps from your fans?” She leans in, and smiles. “I’m sure your readers would love to know about hiding a record from the public, but I think the less that’s said, the better.” She leans back, and takes a drink from a cup on the table. I put together what she has said, and decide to carry on the topic of what was announced on her official facebook page, and twitter account last night. “You also made reference to the name of your next tour being called ‘Fuck Wonderland’. Anything you wish to add? I mean, how can you decide what your next tour will be like if you haven’t even finished this one?” Now she sits up. She is obviously a lot more interested in this one. She hesitates for a second, before starting again. “Well, I had this idea about making a tour that basically pisses around with all the stuff in Alice in Wonderland, and I feel that now would be a good time to do it. Obviously, I’m taking a break, but I want to get out there and play. Not many people get the chance to do this, ya know? I mean, a year ago, I was just a no-body from London. Now, I’m nearly a household name! So I want to play whilst I can, and if I can make some cash, then that’s great too.” She stops, and takes a drink from her cup, before turning back to me. “Plus, the more time I spend on stage, the less time people have to formulate stories, like I’m out clubbing with Brandon Flowers, or dating the lead from some band like Panic at the Disco.”  She lets out a nervous laugh with her last comment, as though she has something more to say. I take the opportunity to raise another point I know her fans are dying to know. “Actually, that’s a question I want to know the answer to, have you had time to find yourself a boyfriend? I hear Justin Beiber might be available.” She shoots me a smile, and yet, I feel some hostility from her. “No. I mean there were loads of rumours that I was going out with Adam Levine from Maroon 5, but that was just a bunch of crap. As for Beiber, I’m gonna say no, and say that we shouldn’t let 12 year olds make shitty music. The world would be thankful for that.” I have so many more questions I want ask her, but the stage manager calls her for a sound check. I guess it will have to wait till next time. One thing that does surprise me, is how well-spoken she is. Most other rock acts swear every other fucking word. But I guess she is a different class of Rocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment