Thursday 31 January 2013

Improvements to contents page

Once I looked over the first draft for my contents page, I have noticed that a number of changes need to be made. Firstly, I need to alter the way in which my contents page is laid out, as it appears to be in two columns, rather than the three that would normally be found in a contents page. Aside from this, my actual contents are all of different lengths, which, means they don't follow a grid, which most, if not all other magazines follow as well.

Firstly, I shall tackle the problem of the contents length. To do this, I shall change the font, and the positioning of the text. Firstly, I shall split the text into multiple lists, rather than just one. I shall also move the text around in such a way that it follows the conventions of other magazines, such as having more than 2 columns.

I have also added a further advertisement to my subscription offer, but this may need to be changed if I update my cover. Additionally, I have also made sure that my columns are also the same length and width so they are the same. Furthermore, I have also wrapped the text around the subscription photograph, as it creates a more unified shape. This was done by overlapping two rectangles. One was set to normal, and the other was set to cutaway.



-Normal
-Cutaway


Furthermore, I will also have to add a photograph of my double page spread onto my contents page when it is finished.

















However, after being given further feedback, the contents page doesn't appear finished. I shall re-align my contents into a grid, and also find a far better way of showing my columns. I shall also add a page number to the bottom of the page, to help create a feeling that this is an actual contents page.

First, I added a block backing to my Contents sub titles, along with a red block to separate my second and third columns, as there wasn't enough space between them. I also made sure that the title went across the top of the box, as it is supposed to be in front of the rest of the article.














I also went on to add a page number to the bottom of my page in the bottom right hand corner, as if I'm putting this on my double page spread, I feel I should have one on my contents page.


I also added a page curl effect just above the place where my double page spread will go, as it is a rather interesting feature, and my contents page was missing some design features.




No comments:

Post a Comment